Kells Priory, Kilkenny

  • Author:ActiveME
  • Created: January 20, 2014
  • Updated: December 12, 2017
Location: Kilkenny
  • DistanceInstructions
Label
  • Distance0.00 m
  • Time0 s
  • Speed0.0 km/h
  • Min altitude0 m
  • Peak0 m
  • Climb0 m
  • Descent0 m

Kells Priory is one of the largest and most impressive medieval monuments in Ireland. The Augustine priory is situated alongside King's River beside the village of Kells, about 15 km south of the medieval city of Kilkenny. One of its most striking features is a collection of medieval tower houses spaced at intervals along and within walls which enclose a site of just over 3 acres. These give the priory the appearance more of a fortress than of a place of worship and from them comes its local name of 'Seven Castles'. Kells Priory was founded by Geoffrey FitzRobert in 1193. The existing extensive ruin mostly dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. It consists of a church, a chapel, prior's residence or sacristy and a number of domestic buildings, all standing on an enclosed site of some 4 acres.

1. Kells Priory, Kilkenny

Altitude: 44 m