Flight of the Earls Heritage Centre, Rathmullen, Co Donegal

  • Author:ActiveME
  • Created: May 8, 2014
  • Updated: December 12, 2017
Location: Donegal
  • DistanceInstructions
Label
  • Distance0.00 m
  • Time0 s
  • Speed0.0 km/h
  • Min altitude0 m
  • Peak0 m
  • Climb0 m
  • Descent0 m

In 1607 the Earls of Ulster left Ireland, their intention was to gain support in Europe for a liberation of Ireland from English rule but they never returned. In Irish History this became known as "The Flight of the Earls".

The centre is housed in a gun battery on Lough Swilly. The battery, a solid granite structure, was built in 1810 as one of six on the shores of the lough. The visitor enters through an outer protective wall and into a courtyard. Gun platforms are still visible along the wall, where until Victorian times large cannon looked out over the lough.

Tel: +353 74 9158131 www.rathmullanflightoftheearls.ie

1. Flight of the Earls Heritage Centre, Rathmullen, Co Donegal

Altitude: 8 m