Disused Railway – Cavan to Westmeath

  • Author:ActiveME
  • Created: August 28, 2012
  • Updated: December 12, 2017
Location: Cavan
  • DistanceInstructions
Label
  • Distance43.67 km
  • Time0 s
  • Speed0.0 km/h
  • Min altitude57 m
  • Peak81 m
  • Climb73 m
  • Descent69 m

Cavan railway station opened on 8 July 1856, closed for passenger services on 14 October 1957, and finally closed altogether on 1 January 1960. The Cavan to Westmeath Railway line opened by the Midlands and Great Western Railway (MGR). It extended from the Inny Junction in Co. Westmeath to Cavan town. Cavan railway stations linked the Great Northern Railway (GNR), the Midland Great Western Railway (MGR) and the end junction of the Belfast-Cavan route linking Clones with a branch line to Crossdoney and Killeshandra. All these lines (including the Cavan-Leitrim Railway) were closed by 1960.  This section of disused and dismantled railway may have the potential to be developed as a walking/cycle route.

Use our Map of Ireland and Sat Nav tool to get directions and our detailed maps and GPS on our ActiveME App to find and follow the railway line live on screen and keep on track.

Gallery