Lismore Castle, located just outside the heritage town of Lismore, Co Waterford in Ireland's south east is a Discovery point the Ireland's Ancient East routes.
Lismore Castle was built in 1185 on the site of Lismore Abbey, an important monastery and seat of learning established in the 7th century. Sir Walter Raleigh (believed to have brought the potato to Europe) bought the castle in 1589 and it is owned by the Dukes of Devonshire since 1753. The Castle Gardens cover an area of 7 acres. The Upper Garden was constructed and planted by the Earl of Cork in 1605. The Lower Garden was built by the Duke of Devonshire in the 19th Cent. It is thought that Edmund Spenser wrote 'The Faerie Queene' in these gardens. Only the gardens are open to the public but they are well worth a visit.