Coakley Consulting Engineers Project Portfolio
Coakley Consulting Engineers based in Tralee, Co. Kerry have significant project experience throughout Ireland of varying type, scale and complexity. We have significant experience in development planning and the preparation of Traffic and Transport Impact Assessment Reports and Studies (TTA, TIA & EIS) for a range of Commercial, Industrial, Residential, Tourism and Mixed Use developments. We also have key experience in preparing Feasibility, Preliminary and Detailed Design Reports for both minor improvements and major roads projects. This includes detailed road and junction design using NRA DMRB, AutoCAD and AutoTrack including detailed costs estimates, pavement design and material specification.
Our traffic and transport planning experience includes Large Scale Traffic Studies for Towns, Environmental Impact Statements (EIS), Land Use & Transportation strategies (LUTS), Urban Planning and Design, Mobility Management Plans (MMP), Travel Plans, Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS), Traffic Surveys (including OD and on-street), Consultation (including public display, public presentations, design and undertaking of high quality focus groups and on-street questionnaires) & Traffic Management Plans.
Coakley Consulting Engineers can also undertake Accessibility and Mobility Audits and if required, organise and commission road safety audits (RSA) by independent auditors as required by the National Roads Authority (NRA) guidelines. Where required, these projects are supported by a range of software packages such as AutoCAD, LINSIG, OSCADY, ARCADY, PICADY, TranED/TRANSYT and TRICS.
Below is a selection of key projects by Coakley Consulting Engineers:
Development Planning and Other Traffic Projects
- Showgrounds Shopping Centre EIS, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary – Multi Phase TIA Report & complex junction design >30,000m2 development
- Detailed Signal Junction Improvement Design - Clonmel Borough Council, Tipperary
- Proposed 650 pupil Secondary School, Ballina, Co. Mayo - Traffic and Transport Assessment Report
- Nursing Home (90 bed) and 54 unit residential development, Kilkenny City – Traffic Report & Junction Design
- Morris DIY Superstore 6,000m2+, Waterford City - Traffic Impact and Management Report and Junction Design
- Masterplan of Large Commercial and Residential Development Lands, Moygaddy, Maynooth, Co Kildare - Traffic Impact Report
- Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle, Killarney, Co. Kerry - Traffic Management Plan incl. diversions & signage - 10,000+ cyclists
- Killarney Race Course, Kerry, Traffic Management Plan including parking management ~10,000 att.
- Proposed 123 Berth Marina Development, East Ferry, Co. Cork - Traffic Impact Assessment Report, Car Park and Road Design
- Proposed Marina and Breakwater, Baltimore, Co. Cork - Traffic Impact and Roads Assessment section of EIS
- St. Oliver's Primary School, Killarney, Co. Kerry (750 pupils / 90 Staff) - Traffic Management Plan and Access Improvement Design
- Proposed Creche and Playschool Development Planning Retention, Waterford - Traffic Impact Report
- Montessori Traffic Management and Safety Statement, Tralee, Co. Kerry
- Proposed 1256 pupil Secondary School, Carrigaline, Co. Cork - Traffic Review and Road Related Planning Appeal on behalf of local residents
- Oysterhaven Traffic and Road Safety Review Report for proposed oyster cultivation site - Planning Appeal
One-off Housing and Residential Dwelling Planning Projects
- Proposed Residential Dwelling, Loughill, Co. Limerick - Traffic Report and Roads Design
- Proposed Residential Dwelling, Causeway, Co. Kerry - Speed Survey and Traffic Report
- Proposed Residential Dwelling, Cromane, Glenbeigh, Co. Kerry - Access and Roads Design
- Building Report - Single Residential Dwelling, Killarney, Co. Kerry
Expert Witness Testimony:
- High Court Record No: 2006/535P Accident Appraisal
- High Court Record No: 2008/3677P Engineering Witness for major case spanning several years Greenband Investments -V- Bruton & Others
Previous Project experience of Brian Coakley of Coakley Consulting Engineers
- Cliffs of Moher Park and Ride, Liscannor, Co, Clare – traffic and design – 360 vehicle spaces
- Giants Causeway Heritage Centre – Site design including traffic management, roads & parking.
- Douglas Golf Club EIS, Cork – TIA and junction appraisal for relocation of Golf Club adjacent to N28.
- Showgrounds Shopping Centre EIS, Clonmel – TIA & complex junction design >30,000m2 development
- Dun Laoghaire Golf Club EIS, Dublin – TIA, junction design and Mobility Management Plan (MMP) for a large 1,500 unit residential development.
- Parkway Shopping Centre EIS, Limerick – TIA, RSA & junction design for >40,000m2 site redevelopment.
- Clondrinagh Office Development EIS, Limerick – TIA & junction design for >20,000m2 site redevelopment.
- Nursing Home (90 bed) and 54 unit residential development, Kilkenny – Traffic Report & Design
- Cashel Motorway Service Area EIS, Traffic report, junction design and Road Safety Audit off the N8.
- Birdhill Motorway Service Area EIS, Traffic Report, junction design and Road Safety Audit off the N7.
- Residential Development EIS, Letterkenny, Donegal - TIA and MPP for a 600 unit residential development.
- Bridgewater Shopping Centre EIS, Arklow, Wicklow - TIA & complex roundabout design - 28,000m2
- Residential Development Ferrybank EIS, Arklow, Wicklow - TIA & MPP - 500 unit development.
- Carrowroe Retail Park EIS, Sligo – Traffic report for a 22,000m2 mixed-use development.
- Frascati Shopping Centre EIS, Blackrock - TIA 15,000m2 redevelopment of existing centre.
- Athlone West Mixed-Use Development EIS, Traffic and junction design for 104,000m2
- Kildare Route Project, Rail Scheme – TIA including accessibility and safety for the 52km rail scheme.
- M7 Centre, Portlaoise – Assessment of development potential surrounding two M7 motorway interchanges.
- N2 Monaghan Bypass, IDA lands - Access assessment options off N2 Monaghan Bypass.
- N54 Inner Relief Road, Monaghan – traffic report & OD survey data analysis of the Preliminary Design
- Cork School of Music, Cork City – TIA for the redevelopment of the Cork School of Music.
Transportation Modelling, Planning & Analytics
- Kinsale Transportation Study – traffic modelling, design, strategy development and public consultation.
- Cork Airport Transportation Study – modelling, strategy for future development & public consultation.
- Dunboyne LUTS – responsible for existing conditions paper, consultation and strategy development.
- National Highway Model – Update of Irish COBA software traffic flow groups and parameters for NRA.
- Developed and evaluated a local SATURN model with DTO for proposed Glenamuck District Distributor Road and land-use zoning, Dublin. See also TE.
Traffic Engineering (TE) – Design & Analysis
- Glenamuck District Distributor Road 1.5km, Dublin - Feasibility and Preliminary Stage Design and Report.
- Kilgobbin Junction, SEM – Preliminary and Detailed design for a large signalised junction adjacent to the South Eastern Motorway (SEM) M50.
- South Eastern Motorway (SEM), Blackthorn Drive Roundabout - Designing and analysis of a signalised cross-junction.
- N11 Wyattville Interchange, Linking of Traffic Signals, SEM – Assessment of signal junctions including a motorway interchange and proposed an interim scheme for liked signals to optimise performance.
- A1/N1 Newry-Dundalk Link Rd Scheme - Design and analysis of an innovative Signalised ‘Throughabout’ (Hamburger) Roundabout junction.
- Market Square, Navan, Meath - designed a high quality multi-modal transport interchange in the Town Centre through detailed public consultation.
- N2 Monaghan to Emyvale Road Realignment – Traffic section of the Preliminary Design Report including a detailed assessment of 2+1 road requirements and the required NRA Level of Service.
- Nangor Road Improvement Scheme, Dublin - Preliminary and Detailed Design Reports for the Nangor Road Improvement Scheme including detailed junction designs and analysis.
TE - Road Safety Audits and Safety Engineering
- Blake’s Cross Junction Scheme, Dublin – Assisted in an accident study, redesign and assessment of a priority junction due to safety and operational issues.
- N24 Access Safety Review, Bulmer’s Ltd, Clonmel.
- Nenagh, Tipperary – Stage 1 Road Safety Audit (RSA) for a mixed use development.
- Ennis, Clare – Stage 1 RSA for Quarry extension and Haulage Route adjacent to Ennis Town.
- Abbeyleix, Laois – Stage 1/2 RSA on a quarry access onto the N8.
- Tullamore Ruby Club, Offaly – Stage 1/2 RSA on proposed junction design and access relocation.
- Edgewater Dev, Midleton, Cork – Stage 1 RSA on 2no. mini-roundabouts and short bridge span.
- Passage West Mixed-use Town Centre Dev., Cork – Stage 1 RSA on access junctions and internal layout.
Traffic Management Plans
- Traffic Management Plan (TMP) for the N3 Tolka Flood Alleviation Scheme – Responsible for preparing a detailed TMP for roadworks on the N3 Dual Carriageway (70,000 AADT) to accommodate a 25m wide culvert crossing the N3 near Clonee Village which operated successfully with minimal impact;
- TMP for development in Ferrybank, Waterford – Responsible for review of TMP for road construction on the N25 Cork-Waterford Road (20,000 AADT);
- Aided in the preparation of detailed Traffic Management Plans for Metro North tender, Dublin.
Oral Hearing Experience
- Gortadroma Landfill Extension - Oral hearing Brief of Evidence on behalf of Limerick County Council.
Expert Witness – Engineering
- High Court Record No: 2006/535P Accident Appraisal
- High Court Record No: 2008/3677P Engineering Witness for this major case spanning several years Greenband Investments -V- Bruton & Others
- New 650 pupil St. Mary's School, Ballina, Co. Mayo – Traffic Report (TTA) and Junction Design
- Oliver’s Primary School Killarney 850+ Pupils/ Staff - Traffic Management Plan & junction design
- Montessori Extension, Killarney – Traffic and Design
- Montessori, Tralee – Traffic Management Plan
- Bus Eireann, Evaluation of No.19 Orbital Bus, Cork –bus patronage, reliability, accessibility & satisfaction.
- Bus Eireann, Pedestrian Accessibility Study and design advice - re-development Cork City Bus Station
Single Unit Residential Developments
- Aided multiple planning applications in terms of traffic, roads, access and junction design.